Absolute Beginner!

Hi Guys,
Managed to download the latest Arduino while in port (nightly build,1.6.10)
and it worked :)
Thanks

Dear all,
I’ve a similar problem. My IDE is the official one release 1.7.10. I’ve downloded ulisp source and I’ve tried to compile it but I received a lot of errors.

Arduino:1.7.10 (Windows 7), Scheda:“Arduino Uno”

ulisp1.ino:142:1: error: ‘object’ does not name a type

ulisp1.ino:143:1: error: ‘object’ does not name a type

… (lines deleted by moderator) …

ulisp1.ino:2160:30: error: ‘integer’ cannot be used as a function

ulisp1.ino:2162:27: error: ‘name’ cannot be used as a function

Errore durante la compilazione

What is the problem? Can you help me? I used to be a programmer years ago but I’m not very comfortable with C.

Thank in advance for your help

Paolo

Confusingly there are two incompatible parallel versions of the Arduino IDE, depending on whether you go to arduino.org or arduino.cc. Please try it with the latest version 1.6.10 at arduino.cc:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

For more information search for “Arduino 1.6 vs 1.7” on Google.

Many thanks John,
you solved not only my problem with ulisp but also a lot of other problems with some shield sketches.

Nice to know you…

Paolo

That looks like what happened when I tried to compile ulisp with a C compiler. It’s mostly C but you actually have to use a C++ compiler because it uses C++ features in a few places.

Ah!

I just had this bug with the .cc/.org versions of Arduino compilers.
Perhaps worth putting something in the installation instructions?

All working now thanks

Hi, I´m trying to complile the source code ulisp provided using the arduino ide (version 1.8.13),
If i use the MEGA 2560 target board, it works fine but when I try to use the Arduino Nano Target Board (processor ATMEGA 328p) it sends the following message:

“El Sketch usa 32220 bytes (104%) del espacio de almacenamiento de programa. El máximo es 30720 bytes.text section exceeds available space in board”

please could you send some advice

thanks in advance

Paul

uLisp sits right on the edge of how large Arduino programs can be on the 328P, and it seems that some of the board specifications are too small. I believe it depends on how much space is assumed to be reserved for the bootloader.

I suspect it’s gotten to the point where it’s still possible to run uLisp on a 328, but doing so is a bit of an advanced proposition rather than a simple one.

@odin is correct – uLisp is on the borderline of what’s possible in the 32K bytes of program memory on the ATmega328P.

However, I can successfully fit the latest version of AVR uLisp 3.4a on my Arduino Uno with the default compile options; the sketch uses 32228 bytes (99%) of program space. I’m also using the Arduino IDE 1.8.13.

You say your error message reads: “El Sketch usa 32220 bytes"… so it’s about the same size as mine and should fit. I therefore suspect that your Nano has an older, larger bootloader that’s taking up more of the programming space. You should be able to update your bootloader to a smaller one, which will fix the problem.

Alternatively you could load an earlier, smaller version of AVR uLisp:

Older versions

I recommend AVR Version 3.0b, which on my Arduino Uno takes 30970 bytes. The main feature missing compared to the latest version is the format function.

thank you guys, i updated the bootloader in the Nano, and it solved the problem.

Hi, Back after a while and trying to make use of a Raspberry pico.
Copied and pasted the file but when uploading it
fails :(
LittleFS.h: No such file or directory.

I should mention i tried to follow th einstructions but i don’t see an option for setting this -

• Set Flash Size to the option that gives FS: 1MB . On the Raspberry Pi Pico this is 2MB (Sketch: 1MB, FS: 1MB).

This allocates enough space for use by LittleFS to save the entire workspace with save-image .

Using a Rpi4, Arduino 1.8.13

@gbar Have you followed the instructions here:

RP2040 boards - Installing uLisp

It sounds like you’re using the Arduino core, which doesn’t have LittleFS. You need to use the Raspberry Pi RP2040 Boards core.

hi, succes! thought i’d done it but clearly wrong.
Next problem is unplug and plug. try to upload the blink sample -
2 | (defun blink (&optional x)
| ~ ^~~~~~
| )

exit status 1

Compilation error: expected ‘)’ before ‘blink’

Can you give more details about what you’re doing? That error message isn’t a uLisp error.

Sure. I’ve uploaded the most recent ulisp, all good -
scanning for RP2040 devices
Flashing H: (RPI-RP2)
Wrote 336896 bytes to H:/NEW.UF2

unplug and plug it back in again (i’ve already uploaded so don’t need to do again right?)
i select new sketch and copy the blink LED sketch in and it doesn’t like that

I don’t think you’re actually talking to uLisp when you get that error. Do you get the uLisp prompt; for example:

22911 >

my problem was entering the blink program.
I’ve got he latest Arduino IDE and selecting serial monitori smaybe different?
It all looks a bit weird and not how i expected, my fault. Got the LED blinkingbut it’s not like the program is accesible this way, it seems anyway to me. I’ll look elsewhere on the forum for how to write,edit and upload code.
Thanks muchly

If you get stuck again just ask on this forum; there’s lots of help available!

Whats the best method for working on a program?
Do you write it in a text editor and try to run with SBCL or something?
Whats the workflow?

in the Serial Monitor? no. Uploads ok with a Low Memory available, stability problemsw may occur.

Open the Serial Monitor, as per
http://www.ulisp.com/show?19XT
no ulisp prompt