Suggested boards for running uLisp?

Good suggestion - I didn’t know about the MSP430FR5994 LaunchPad.

One question is whether it can be supported by the Energia IDE. I’ll investigate.

I think it is not supported by Energia-IDE, but maybe it is easy to add support for this board (add it to boards.txt; with arduino-ide this is often possible). I’ll try this as soon I have the board.
Maybe (I didn’t try) it is possible to import the project to TI’s ccs (at least there is a function to do this). Anyway, I haven’t tried this either…

Let me know when you’ve got your board and tried a few experiments. Thanks!

Sorry, but just adding the board to boards.txt is not enough. Trying to import ulisp to ccs leads to a compile error in ccs; for now I don’t know what’s the reason for this. I’ll try a few simpler examples to get more familiar with both systems.
It seems that the energia team plans to support the FR5994lp with their next release – I just didn’t find a release date for this…

OK, thanks for the update.

Have now added support for the FR5994 LaunchPad:

MSP430 FR5994 LaunchPad

SD card support should work when Energia adds an SD Card library to the core.

What do you think about this board from T.I.? It’s seems to me inexpensive and very performing.

http://www.ti.com/tool/ek-tm4c1294xl?keyMatch=ek-tm4c1294xl&tisearch=Search-EN-Everything

I know that I’m boring, but when do you will release uLisp 2.2 for the ESP8266?

Best regards

Giancarlo

what do you think about this board from T.I.? It’s seems to me inexpensive and very performing.

http://www.ti.com/tool/ek-tm4c1294xl?keyMatch=ek-tm4c1294xl&tisearch=Search-EN-Everything

Do you have one?

The ARM version of uLisp should work on it. Does Energia support it?

When do you will release uLisp 2.2 for the ESP8266?

I haven’t had any feedback about the ESP8266 2.0 beta 2 version so I didn’t think anyone was using it!

I’m just doing some work on what will be a 2.3 ARM version, so perhaps I’ll port that to the ESP8266 when it’s finished.

Yes, I have one, and yes, Energia supports also this board.
I’ll try at once to upload the ARM version of uLisp! (Hoping so…)
Well, I have succesfully uploaded your ESP8266 version of uLisp on my
NodeMCU V2 Amica (by AZ - Delivery) and it works like a charm!

Sorry for not giving any feedback for ESP8266 2.0 b2 (I did the fix myself and didn’t use 2.0 b2).
I think ESP8266 is the most interesting hardware platform because of performance and WiFi (ESP32 would be even more interesting because of much more memory (and a little faster than esp8266)).
I tryed ulisp on esp32 but I’m not sure about the result (it works roughly, I found some tweeks (but I can’t remember now) but I didn’t found much time to play during the last few weeks).
Thank you very much for your continuous work on the system,
regards,
Kaef

Have you given any thought to the STM32F103C8, it has quite a bit of ram (20k), and is very inexpensive when bought as a “Bluepill”? I did some simple experimenst with a couple of different STM32 Arduino cores widely available, seems like it wanted to compile with exception of the wire.h functions, and of course, not having any of the #if… def conditionals edited to support the STM32F103 as an anticipated target.

Yes, I’ve had uLisp running successfully on a NUCLEO-F114RE board, but there were problems with the Serial Monitor running via the serial interface.

I’ve got a Bluepill and haven’t tried it yet; can you connect to it via USB over the serial port, or do you need an FTDI board?

Yes it requires a separate USB2TLL module, but the onboard boot loader works very well via the serial port, which is quite convenient. Your difficulty with the st-link v2.1 usb serial instance, might be a simple jumper, pin selection, or which serial port your using. Ordinarily it’s quite stable.

Do you have any instructions on how to build for the STM32F411? I just assumed you used the *.ino file, and let the Arduino IDE build it…

Thanks. I’ll see if I can get uLisp working on the Bluepill in the next few days.

Let me know if I can assist in any way. I have almost every ARM dev tool, hardware and software imaginable…

A version of uLisp is now working on the Blue Pill; see:

uLisp for the STM32 Blue Pill board

MIPS32-Based Omega2 Line! - The boards are, of course, open source, and MIPS itself is, as far as I have read, also getting open-sourced by the end of this quarter. Also, the MIPS architecture has a long legacy of low-power, high performance and awesome networking capabilities, so IMHO it can represent a worthy rival for ARM. https://onion.io/Omega2/

Interesting suggestion! Is there an Arduino Core for it, so one can run C programs on the processor without Linux?

Well, There is an “Arduino Dock” designed specifically for it. You can take a look at it here. Not sure if it would serve that purpose.

What I was rather picturing (maybe naively, since I lack the technical understanding) is the following:

There is a community port of FreeBSD, kind of a micro kernel, which successfully runs in the Omega. You can find it here. Since it is a community effort, this is not supported by the FreeBSD project so you can’t install any packages directly from their repository. So I was imagining it would be a blast if one could get uLisp to work on this micro kernel (I would love to try, but I repeat that I do lack the technical skills required to do so, so by “one”, I actually mean “anyone here who does have that much ability, knowledge and skills”). What do you think?

Thanks - I’ll follow up your references. In the meantime you might be interested in my earlier post in case you decide to have a go yourself: