Raspberry Pi Pico 2 announced

Raspberry Pi have just announced an exciting new board, the Raspberry Pi Pico 2, a successor to the Raspberry Pi Pico:

It’s based on a new RP2350 processor with the following features:

• Dual ARM Cortex-M33 or dual RISC-V Hazard3 processors @ 150MHz

• 520 KB on-chip SRAM; 4 MB on-board QSPI flash

• 26 multi-purpose GPIO pins, including 4 that can be used for ADC

• 2 × UARTs, 2 × SPI controllers, and 2 × I2C controllers

• 24 × PWM channels

• 1 × USB 1.1 controller and PHY, with host and device support

• 12 × PIO state machines

The presence of both ARM and RISC-V cores is an interesting development, meaning it could be possible to run both ARM and RISC-V machine code.

I hope to have a version of uLisp running on the board as soon as boards are available.

For more information see Raspberry Pi Pico 2.

The board is available for preorder in the UK from The Pi Hut: Raspberry Pi Pico 2.

RP2350 uLisp support
RP2350 uLisp support

Reading the documentation a bit more, it looks like the RP2350 has FOUR cores, two ARM, two RISC-V, but because of some weirdness you can only run one architecture at once. EG. if you compiled uLisp for the ARM cores it might not let you run RISC-V machine code even if you have a RISC-V assembler loaded into uLisp. This seems really strange but I’m sure there’s a reason why raspberry pi made that choice…

I think it is because of the difficulty of giving simultaneous memory access to two different types of core.

Another good article about the RP2350 here:

Why you should fall in love with the RP2350

There already appear to be third party RP2350 boards available; for example:

Challenger+ RP2350 BConnect

For a fuller list see:

New Raspberry Pi RP2350 Arm + RISC chip to power dozens of new devices; here’s a running list

One advantage of the new Raspberry Pi RP2350 having dual ARM and RISC-V cores is that it gives Raspberry Pi the option of disabling the ARM cores, by blowing a fuse without changing the die, to make a RISC-V only chip which avoids paying ARM a royalty (and so could be cheaper).

See: uLisp now supports the RP2350-based Raspberry Pi Pico 2.