Review of uLisp on the Adafruit site

There’s a great write-up of uLisp by Dave Astels on the Adafruit site:

Alternative languages for programming the SAMD51 boards

It includes several examples, including a uLisp program to read temperature and relative humidity from an I2C si7021 temperature/humidity sensor.

Actually, very in-depth… and the “shortcomings” regarding the interface that he quotes… are actually not that bad:

1. for anyone doing things at the terminal, likely you will have your functions prepared by some other editor and tested on some other lisp, and you will just “pump them into” uLisp;

2. if you - like I do - insist on “editing on the spot”, then you, David, provided wonderful solutions in our discussion about editors!

The latest ARM version of uLisp now supports the Adafruit ATSAMD51-based M4 boards; see:

Adafruit M4 boards

These are currently the fastest platforms for running uLisp, and include a DataFlash chip which uLisp uses to allow you to save the Lisp image.

Thank you, dear @johnsondavies, after reading your announcement here I ordered two (as I commonly burn one in some sort of freak accident). I think it is all getting to the point where this is becoming a sort of “serious Lisp platform”, I mean, people on IBM PCs did not really have all that more RAM in the early-mid 1980s, either. I wonder how my little “serial port problem” will play out on this gadget. ;)