Suggested boards for running uLisp?

What do you think about this board from T.I.? It’s seems to me inexpensive and very performing.

http://www.ti.com/tool/ek-tm4c1294xl?keyMatch=ek-tm4c1294xl&tisearch=Search-EN-Everything

I know that I’m boring, but when do you will release uLisp 2.2 for the ESP8266?

Best regards

Giancarlo

what do you think about this board from T.I.? It’s seems to me inexpensive and very performing.

http://www.ti.com/tool/ek-tm4c1294xl?keyMatch=ek-tm4c1294xl&tisearch=Search-EN-Everything

Do you have one?

The ARM version of uLisp should work on it. Does Energia support it?

When do you will release uLisp 2.2 for the ESP8266?

I haven’t had any feedback about the ESP8266 2.0 beta 2 version so I didn’t think anyone was using it!

I’m just doing some work on what will be a 2.3 ARM version, so perhaps I’ll port that to the ESP8266 when it’s finished.

Yes, I have one, and yes, Energia supports also this board.
I’ll try at once to upload the ARM version of uLisp! (Hoping so…)
Well, I have succesfully uploaded your ESP8266 version of uLisp on my
NodeMCU V2 Amica (by AZ - Delivery) and it works like a charm!

Sorry for not giving any feedback for ESP8266 2.0 b2 (I did the fix myself and didn’t use 2.0 b2).
I think ESP8266 is the most interesting hardware platform because of performance and WiFi (ESP32 would be even more interesting because of much more memory (and a little faster than esp8266)).
I tryed ulisp on esp32 but I’m not sure about the result (it works roughly, I found some tweeks (but I can’t remember now) but I didn’t found much time to play during the last few weeks).
Thank you very much for your continuous work on the system,
regards,
Kaef

Have you given any thought to the STM32F103C8, it has quite a bit of ram (20k), and is very inexpensive when bought as a “Bluepill”? I did some simple experimenst with a couple of different STM32 Arduino cores widely available, seems like it wanted to compile with exception of the wire.h functions, and of course, not having any of the #if… def conditionals edited to support the STM32F103 as an anticipated target.

Yes, I’ve had uLisp running successfully on a NUCLEO-F114RE board, but there were problems with the Serial Monitor running via the serial interface.

I’ve got a Bluepill and haven’t tried it yet; can you connect to it via USB over the serial port, or do you need an FTDI board?

Yes it requires a separate USB2TLL module, but the onboard boot loader works very well via the serial port, which is quite convenient. Your difficulty with the st-link v2.1 usb serial instance, might be a simple jumper, pin selection, or which serial port your using. Ordinarily it’s quite stable.

Do you have any instructions on how to build for the STM32F411? I just assumed you used the *.ino file, and let the Arduino IDE build it…

Thanks. I’ll see if I can get uLisp working on the Bluepill in the next few days.

Let me know if I can assist in any way. I have almost every ARM dev tool, hardware and software imaginable…

A version of uLisp is now working on the Blue Pill; see:

uLisp for the STM32 Blue Pill board

MIPS32-Based Omega2 Line! - The boards are, of course, open source, and MIPS itself is, as far as I have read, also getting open-sourced by the end of this quarter. Also, the MIPS architecture has a long legacy of low-power, high performance and awesome networking capabilities, so IMHO it can represent a worthy rival for ARM. https://onion.io/Omega2/

Interesting suggestion! Is there an Arduino Core for it, so one can run C programs on the processor without Linux?

Well, There is an “Arduino Dock” designed specifically for it. You can take a look at it here. Not sure if it would serve that purpose.

What I was rather picturing (maybe naively, since I lack the technical understanding) is the following:

There is a community port of FreeBSD, kind of a micro kernel, which successfully runs in the Omega. You can find it here. Since it is a community effort, this is not supported by the FreeBSD project so you can’t install any packages directly from their repository. So I was imagining it would be a blast if one could get uLisp to work on this micro kernel (I would love to try, but I repeat that I do lack the technical skills required to do so, so by “one”, I actually mean “anyone here who does have that much ability, knowledge and skills”). What do you think?

Thanks - I’ll follow up your references. In the meantime you might be interested in my earlier post in case you decide to have a go yourself:

Thanks! I’ll take a look at it and i’d be glad to be of use,

Cheers.-

Today I read about the Teensy 4.0 board. It has a 600 MHZ clocked NXP i.MX RT1062 Arm Cortex-M7 with 1024 kB RAM and 2048 kB Flash. I’ll try to get one at end of august. It may be very well for running uLisp. The Arduino support is still in beta and the boards are rare yet, but I suppose this will change soon. What do you think?

Some time ago I tried out a Teensy 3.5, but I never managed to get it working and gave up; if I remember rightly I think there were problems with the Arduino compatibility.

I look forward to hearing how you get on!

I’ve also written about the Adafruit Metro M4 Grand Central board in a separate thread:

Hi,
got my Teensy-4.0 board last week and I try to compile ulisp-2.8 for this board.
I took the ulisp-arm version; it worked well, there were a few issues (mainly to spi) which need some change (I made 3-4 changes to get it compiled and running).

Here’s a small test with the (tak 18 12 6) benchmark on this board:

uLisp 2.8 
51199> (defun tak (x y z)   
           (if (not (< y x))
                z
                (tak (tak (1- x) y z)
                     (tak (1- y) z x)
                     (tak (1- z) x y))))
tak               
51151> (tak 18 12 6)
51151> (for-millis () (tak 18 12 6))
51151> (for-millis () (princ (tak 18 12 6)))
51151> 

I didn’t do any additional test or optimisation (ie. WORKSPACESIZE ), so it just proofs that ulisp in running on this board. I also don’t know if any hardware functions (I2C, SPI, etc.) are working.
So there’s a lot of things to do, but getting ulisp up and running was no big deal ;-)

If you are interested in my code changes please let me know.

Best regards,
Kaef

uLisp on Teensy 4.0

Looks good! And those timings are pretty fast. Keep us posted with your progress.