Can saveimage/compactimage lose objects?

David, excuse me, could you comment on the lines :

while (firstfree < obj) {
    if (marked(obj)) {
      car(firstfree) = car(obj);
      cdr(firstfree) = cdr(obj);
      unmark(obj);
      movepointer(obj, firstfree);

According to my expectations, the expression

mark(firstfree)

should be built there. Else object can be lost.
i use code:

cdr(firstfree) = cdr(obj);
  movepointer(obj, firstfree);
  mark(firstfree);  // There is mark the object which was moved
  unmark(obj);

Before i was lost objects. Now all right.
But maybe I don’t understand everything in uLisp codes, and I’m wrong.

I confess, i am a sinner: i was write an extension for creating C-type arrays in uLisp. During debugging, i had some difficulties with compactimage() and saveimage().

Now it works. Image contains binary arrays following of all workspace.
But we can talk about this separately if there is interest.

Just to be clear, are you referring to code in the standard implementation of uLisp, or new code that you’re writing in a uLisp extension file?

I’m not aware of any problem with the standard versions of uLisp losing objects as a result of saveimage() or compactimage().

David, i use ulisp standard code compactimage(), but i made adopt uLisp for 64bit processor. It can lead to like errors. My array system placed in extention in other file.
When i add mark(firstfree) it begins work without lost my arrays.

This line must copy mark-bit from obj to firstfree. That is why additional mark(firstfree) is not necessary. Am i undestand correctly ?

If it so, i have to find an errors in my version.
David, I apologize, I probably bothered you for nothing. I wanted to make sure that I understood the ulisp code correctly.

Hi Anatoly,

I don’t quite understand what you mean by:

My array system placed in extention in other file.

Are you using uLisp’s arrays, or have you written your own array system in a uLisp extension file? Are you saying that the arrays get lost/corrupted when you call compactimage()?

What platform version of uLisp are you using? What processor are you running it on?

Note that if you suspect a problem with compatcimage() you can test using saveimage() without calling compactimage() by setting the WORKSPACESIZE to a small enough value to fit the whole workspace in your persistent storage without compacting it.

Regards, David

David, hello!
Thank you for your feedback. I am working with version 4.6 for ESP reworked for Linux x64.

David, it seems that the problem was in incorrect work with the pointer on Workspace. malloc() makes a different address for each session. I take this offset into account and adjust the pointer fields. I did something wrong there. It all seems to work without the need to put an additional mark(firstfree) now.

There is a file arrayis.cpp on my github. In it you can see the principles of organizing of my c-type arrays. I use the descriptor header, at the beginning of the array. There is all the information about the dimensions and type. I marked the commands (make-array*) (aref*) with a star.
I had to make inserts in the functions place, setf, incf, decf and some other. New objects type is ARRAY2. But a am afraid it will take some time for you to discover that. But If it is interesting and useful you can use this codes and ideas for future versions.

I think it is possible to include this array type in common aref and make-aray functions. May be i shall do it.

At least it allows to operate with bitmaps and design good API and sprite graphics.

Very convenient possibility is to use uLisp on arm-linux embedded boards. It allows to make good API and avoid time spending for cross-compilation and upload during debug a unit. (For usual avr and arm microcontrollers it is too)

Thank you for the reply. An interesting application of uLisp - I’ll take a look at it. David