Can't compile ulisp-esp8266

I’m having trouble compiling the ulisp-esp8266, I get the following error. I downloaded the "ESP8266WIFI.h file and libraries,
but no matter what I do the get the following error. Any ideas?

Regards

Mark

Arduino: 1.8.6 (Windows 7), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

ulisp-esp8266:22:25: error: ESP8266WiFi.h: No such file or directory

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
ESP8266WiFi.h: No such file or directory

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Have you installed the Arduino core for ESP8266 from the Boards Manager? If so, which version are you using?

What ESP8266 board are you using? Have you selected the appropriate option for that board from the Board menu?

I have attempted to load the ESP8266 libraries from the board manager with no success. When I open the board manager select “all” under type and type in ESP8266 or 8266 nothing comes up.
I’m using the feather HUZZAD ESP8266, which brings up the next question. Which serial port is used to communicate with the ESP8266.

Regards

Mark

Before you can get uLisp to work you need to be able to run a basic Arduino sketch, such as Blink. If that doesn’t work there’s a more fundamental problem.

After reading your post I tried downloading a clean copy of the Arduino core for ESP8266 via the Boards Manager and I got the same problem that you’re describing, so I think there’s currently a problem with either the Boards Manager, or the ESP8266 Boards Manager URL. Try reporting the problem on the ESP8266 forum.

The Huzzah ESP8266 should work fine, and it communicates with uLisp via the USB Serial port.

I was able to compile and download uLisp 2.3 to my MEGA 2560r3. Yes I can load the blink program and it does work. However I run into trouble when I try to compile
ulisp-esp8266. My understanding that this worked?

Regards

Mark

ulisp-esp8266 will only work with the ESP8266 Arduino core. Is that what you tried?

Well, I’m not sure now. I’ve downloaded so many libraries. Where can I find the ESP8266 Arduino Core? How can I download this?

Regards

Mark

Follow the instructions here:

Ok, success! Ulisp-esp8266 now
compiles! However I’m still a little confused. Where does this
compiled code go? Do I upload it to my MEGA 2560 or does it get
uploaded to my HUZZAH esp 8266?

Once I get this figured out I will write a step by step work instruction and pass it along to you.

Regards

Mark

This is nothing to do with the Mega 2560. You upload uLisp to the Adafruit Huzzah ESP8266.

Ok, some interesting things have happened! In order to get Ulisp-esp8266 to compile I have to select the “Adafruit Feather
HUZZAH” from the board menu. However when I attempt to upload the program it expects the ESP8266 to be there which it
is not. I have my MEGA 2560r3 connected. If I change the board manager back to MEGA 2560 then I get the same problem
as before as seen below. Confusing.

Arduino: 1.8.6 (Windows 7), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

Build options changed, rebuilding all
ulisp-esp8266:22:25: error: ESP8266WiFi.h: No such file or directory

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
ESP8266WiFi.h: No such file or directory

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Oh!!!
So Ulisp runs inside the “Feather Huzzah”!!! Awesome. Ok now I get it. For some reason I thought I needed the Mega 2560 to run Ulisp.
Sorry I’m an old fart from the 1990’s tech world. Things have become so small.

Regards
Mark

Bingo!

OMG…it’s alive…and blinking…ok now to web serve a few simple pages!