Packages and persistent storage

Now that the T-deck has sd-card support I’ve been using save-image and edit to create new functionality that is persistent. Unfortunately when I update the firmware these functions are no longer loadable. So I started exporting using the pprintall function to save a text version of the functions that I had written to a separate file:

(load-image)

(with-sd-card (str "image.txt" 2)
  (pprintall str))

When writing a function to load the stored functions from the text file, I realized that I was starting to write a package loader of sorts:

(defun load-package (filename)
  (with-sd-card (str filename)
    (loop
     (let (ln (eval (read str)))
       (unless ln (return nothing)))))))

Which lead me to wanting to write a function that given a package file name, and a list of symbols, would write these out to a file to be loaded later:

(defun save-package (filename lst)
  (with-sd-card (str filename 2)
   (dolist (f lst)
      (pprint f str))))

(defun add-to-package (filename list)
   (with-sd-card (str filename 1)
     (dolist (f lst)
         (pprint f str))))

Sadly pprint either prints only the name if they are quoted, or the lambda of the symbol if given a list of symbols

(save-package "packages.lsp" '(save-package add-to-package))

At which point I realized I would need to write out a describe function that returns the whole definition of a function, and I might as well have it do all symbols, which lead me to coming here and seeing if anyone has put any thought into this. Could this be build into edit. Do we need to include shadowing, gensym and other package management components, or should a package just load into the global space.

Thoughts?

A package loader sounds an interesting idea.

Sadly pprint either prints only the name if they are quoted, or the lambda of the symbol if given a list of symbols

I think if you look at the definition of pprintall it may do some of what you want. It constructs the definition of a function by adding defun and the function name, and also handles defvars.

I got some time to look over the pprintall function, and came up with the following additions, which I’ve added to my extensions file:

object *fn_sym_def (object *args, object *env) {
  (void) env;
  object *obj = first(args);
  pfun_t pfun = pstreamfun(cdr(args));
  #if defined(gfxsupport)
  if (pfun == gfxwrite) ppwidth = GFXPPWIDTH;
  #endif
  object *pair = findvalue(obj, env);
  object *var = car(pair);
  object *val = cdr(pair);
  pln(pfun);
  if (consp(val) && symbolp(car(val)) && builtin(car(val)->name) == LAMBDA) {
    superprint(cons(bsymbol(DEFUN), cons(var, cdr(val))), 0, false, pfun);
  } else {
    superprint(cons(bsymbol(DEFVAR), cons(var, cons(quote(val), NULL))), 0, false, pfun);
  }
  pln(pfun);
  ppwidth = PPWIDTH;
  return bsymbol(NOTHING);
}

const char string_sym_def[] PROGMEM = "symbol-def";

const char doc_sym_def[] PROGMEM = "(symbol-def symbol [str])\n"
"Prints the definition of a symbol (variable or function) defined in ulisp using the pretty printer."
"If str is specified it prints to the specified stream. It returns no value.";

{ string_sym_def, fn_sym_def, 0212, doc_sym_def },

This creates a ulisp function symbol-def which pretty prints the definition of a symbol that is currently saved within globals. With this I can now use the following ulisp functions to do some basic “package” management:

(defun load-package (filename)
  (with-sd-card (str filename)
    (loop
     (let (ln (eval (read str)))
       (unless ln (return nothing)))))))

(defun save-package (filename lst)
  (with-sd-card (str filename 2)
   (dolist (f lst)
      (symbol-def f str))))

(defun add-to-package (filename list)
   (with-sd-card (str filename 1)
     (dolist (f lst)
         (symbol-def f str))))

Note these loaded “packages” will overwrite any existing symbols, and does no attempt at creating a namespace, shadowing variable or anything that you’d normally expect from a Common Lisp package.