Stuck on v2.5 with a Pro-Mini

I have a Arduino Pro-Mini (5V 16MHz) running uLisp v2.5. Using a FTDI module with DTR connected for serial and Arduino connection.

I have been trying to restore the Pro-Mini but can’t download even Blink with Arduino. The problem appears to be that uLisp gets started before the bootloader has a chance to respond to the download protocol.

I have tried being patient, holding down reset button and then starting the download, hitting the reset button after starting the download. Nothing seems to work. When I check uLisp is still running fine. But I really want to re-purpose this Pro-Mini.

How do I get a Arduino download working again?

I can’t think what might be wrong - uLisp just installs like any other Arduino application.

Try briefly pressing the Reset button the moment “Done Compiling” appears in the blue status bar on the IDE.

Let me know if you solve it!

Hi,
how do you power your board? Some USB ports have rather low voltages…
You may also try to lower the upload speed.
Regards,
Kaef

The bootloader is in charge of that process, and the normal upload procedure does not give uLisp an opportunity to seize control. What errors do you get trying to upload?

Using the same system and USB2 port as I did to originally program the Pro-Mini.

How do you lower the upload speed?

Agreed, that is exactly why I am so confused.

Here are the ouputs:

Compile, download – holding down reset button and releasing after download starts

Arduino: 1.8.12 (Linux), Board: "Arduino Pro or Pro Mini, *ATmega328P (5V, 16 MHz)"*
Sketch uses 924 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe0
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

Compile, download – hit reset button after download starts

Arduino: 1.8.12 (Linux), Board: "Arduino Pro or Pro Mini, ATmega328P (5V, 16 MHz)&quot
Sketch uses 924 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0002
0x47 != 0x5c
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

Huh. The latter would seem to indicate that the bootloader does respond when you do the manual reset - it just doesn’t actually rewrite anything.

You say you have DTR connected; does auto-reset not work?

Do you have another Arduino board you can try, to eliminate the possibility that something in your hardware/software setup has changed?

Sorry, changing the upload speed seems not to be possible with these boards.
I would suggest using a different 5V power supply for the arduino board and disconnect the 5V line from the ftdi chip (GND must stay connected!). It may help using a active usb-hub (usb-hub with a separate power supply, ftdi chips often have a limited maximum current (some of them have a programmable maximum current)).

Thanks for the suggestions. At least I haven’t overlooked anything obvious.

I’m starting to suspect the Pro-Mini board. Don’t have the tools to check the DTR line. Well it’s connected but how well is it working … don’t know.

Will need to get another board and re-test. Not urgent in these troubled times.