T-Deck battery readout

I’m working on getting a battery percent and/or voltage readout for my T-Deck in uLisp. For now, I’m getting values that are too high to be accurate, so I’m going to document my findings and process as I work on things going forward, and anyone is welcome to chime in with advice or ideas.

Hardware

The BAT_ADC is on GPIO 4 per the schematic as well as the pinout.

A TP4065 IC has a blue LED hooked to the ~CHRG pin, which means the light is on when charging and off when done charging or not attached.

GPIO 4 has a voltage divider setup (2x 100K resistors) to halve the battery voltage for the ADC into the 0-2.1V range.

The ESP32-S3 ADC is 12-bit (values of 0 to 4095).

uLisp

I defined two functions, one for fractional readout and one for voltage, like so. I also configure the ADC to be 12-bit from the uLisp all-device default of 10-bit (0 to 1023).

(analogreadresolution 12)

(defun batp nil (/ (analogread 4) 4095))

(defun batv nil (* (/ (* (analogread 4) 2) 4095) 3.3))

The first should give a float value 0 to 1.0 and the second a voltage amount. Note that I’ve doubled things to account for the voltage divider.

Doing that with a full battery (I tried several) I get values around 0.69 and 4.55 pretty consistently, which obviously are high as well as unchanging.

Next up: figuring out why! I’m guessing that the ESP32-S3 in particular might require some more nuanced ADC setup to get accurate readings and/or multiple samples or waits for accuracy.

Digging a bit more, this looks like it might be an ADC attenuation issue. Docs here.

More research is needed, but it looks like adding this line in initBoard() seems to solve the scale being off:

analogSetAttenuation(ADC_ATTENDB_MAX);

I can’t get at the other constants for specific attenuation amounts yet, but the max is what I need anyway (since it goes up to 3.1V), so that works. I then properly get a scaled ADC reading.

FYI the ESP32 ADC is notoriously non-linear (tho I don’t know about the S3 specifically), so expect weird results. There’s some things you can do to help but its fundamentally flawed in its accuracy as far as I can tell. I’m not sure if that’s what you’re running into, but its something to watch out for.