Wi-Fi extensions / Adafruit Feather M0 WiFi

Hello,

I hope you are doing well.

Did you know if the Wi-Fi extensions will be able to work in the Adafruit Feather M0 WiFi ?

If that is not possible maybe it is possible to use Adafruit HUZZAH32 - ESP32 Feather (currently supported by uLisp) and somehow bridge it with an Adafruit Feather M0 so this last one is able to reach internet?

Best Regards

Currently the only version of uLisp that has the Wi-Fi extensions is the ESP version, and they work on the ESP8266 and ESP32.

However, the Wi-Fi routines in uLisp generally call standard Arduino Wi-Fi functions, so they should support any Wi-Fi interface, and it should be possible to add them to the ARM version of uLisp without much difficulty. I did this previously to create a version of uLisp to support the Ameba RTL8722; see uLisp for the Ameba RTL8722 Board.

I don’t have an Adafruit Feather M0 WiFi to try out, but I’m happy to help someone do the work.

Hello,

Thank a lot for your quick feedback!

Looks like an interesting project to learn. Sorry if my question is too basic, but that mean that any arduino standard library such as mqtt can be “mapped” to uLisp? (asumming that the CPU is already supported on Arduino + there is enough memory available).

I mean once the uLisp interpreter is able to call the mqtt library, it should work…

Best Regards

It’s definitely possible to extend uLisp with commands to interface with an Arduino library, such as mqtt. For some guidelines see the articles Adding your own functions and Converting between C and uLisp.

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your support :-)

I will check the links in detail.

By the way it looks like the Arduino Nano 33 IoT is a better hardware to start with. It is quite cheaper than the Adafruit Feather M0. Same processor + wifi. Also including BLE which I don’t see in the Adafruit.

Best Regards

As far as I can see the Arduino Nano 33 IoT uses an ESP32 for the WiFi.

Hi,

Yup I think they use the u-blox NINA-W10 series

However if this “CPU” is actually just a Wifi Module and the Main processor is really the arm® Cortex®-M0 32-bit SAMD21. Then once you upload uLisp in the arduino 33 iot, it will only use that SAMD21 processort while calling the u-blox api? So you never change any parameter within the wifi module just call the library to sent / received data.

It is that architecture right? Or somehow uLisp should also be uploaded in the wifi module?

Best Regards

I think it would need a bit of work to get uLisp to work with it. Using an ESP32 board would be a safer bet; for example, the Adafruit HUZZAH32 ESP32 Feather; see ESP32 boards.

Hello,

Thank you so much for your feedback.

Ok, let me check the docs in detail.

Best Regards