Using the I2C bus from uLisp

I would like to talk to I2C sensors using Ulisp from an Arduino Uno.

Ideally I want to have a serial or SPI connection with a Common Lisp on a controlling computer and a few functions to implement simple sequences of I2C commands, to control muxers and read out sensor.

Has anyone done anything in this direction?

There’s currently no I2C interface in uLisp, but it’s something that I’m planning to add soon.

I added the obvious functions and tried writing to the port without a device connected.
The file with all modifications is here: https://github.com/plops/ulisp-i2c

Here are the main functions:

#include <Wire.h>

object *fn_i2c_begin(object*args,object*env)
{
  (void) env;
  Wire.beginTransmission(integer(first(args)));
  return nil;
}

object *fn_i2c_end(object*args,object*env)
{
  (void) env;
  (void) args;
  Wire.endTransmission();
  return nil;
}

object *fn_i2c_write(object*args,object*env)
{
  (void) env;
  Wire.write(byte(integer(first(args))));
  return nil;
}

object *fn_i2c_request(object*args,object*env)
{
  (void) env;
  int addr = integer(first(args));
  int quantity = integer(second(args));
  int stp = integer(third(args));

int value = Wire.requestFrom(addr,quantity,stp);
  return number(value);
}

object *fn_i2c_read(object*args,object*env)
{
  (void) env;
  (void) args;
  return number(Wire.read());
}

Compilation shows this:

Sketch uses 20,298 bytes (62%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 1,739 bytes (84%) of dynamic memory, leaving 309 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
Low memory available, stability problems may occur.

Here is oscilloscope output for this code:
(loop (i2c-begin 30) (i2c-write 32) (i2c-end))

I haven’t tried talking to a device yet (the ones I have are not 5V compatible).

That looks good. The standard Wire library uses rather a lot of RAM so I’m planning to investigate other leaner libraries.

I’m also thinking about something like with-i2C, like the Lisp function with-open-file, which you would wrap around your calls to read and write and which would handle the beginTransmission() and endTransmission() automatically for you.

Here’s my proposed I2C interface for uLisp. I’d welcome your comments.

In keeping with the Lisp philosophy of using streams for communicating with devices, the uLisp I2C functions will use a stream object to represent each I2C device being addressed. Printing an I2C stream will show the address of the device; for example:

<i2c-stream #x68>

Master writing to slave

The simplest operation is writing to a slave. In this case you simply put a series of write-byte commands within a with-i2c form. The with-i2c form takes care of the start and stop commands. For example:

(with-i2c (str #x70)
  (write-byte #x21 str)))

Within the form the first parameter to with-i2c, for example str, is bound to a stream object.

The second parameter is the I2C address, and the optional third parameter is omitted or nil for a write, and t or a number to specify a read.

Master reading from slave

When the master device is reading from a slave it has to terminate each read operation with an ACK apart from the last one, which is terminated by a NAK. This tells the slave not to send any further bytes.

The uLisp I2C interface allows you to identify the last read-byte in either of two ways:

You can specify the total number of bytes you are going to read, as the third parameter of the with-i2c form or restart-i2c function. With this approach read-byte will automatically terminate the last call with a NAK:

(defun get ()
  (with-i2c (str #x68 nil)
    (write-byte #x00 str)
    (restart-i2c str 3)
    (list
     (read-byte str)
     (read-byte str)
     (read-byte str))))

Alternatively you can just specify the third parameter of the with-i2c form or restart-i2c function as t (to indicate read), and explicitly identify the last read-byte command by specifying an additional t parameter:

(defun get ()
  (with-i2c (str #x68 nil)
    (write-byte #x00 str)
    (restart-i2c str t)
    (list
     (read-byte str)
     (read-byte str)
     (read-byte str t))))

Issuing a restart

If a master wants to send a value to a slave, and then immediately read bytes back, the master should issue a restart-i2c command to switch between write mode and read mode. This ensures that the master retains control of the I2C bus between the write and the read.

A typical application is reading bytes from an I2C EEPROM. The master would first write the address, then send a restart and read the data from the EEPROM starting at that address.

The latest version of uLisp now includes I2C and SPI interfaces; see http://www.ulisp.com/show?1EK4

Thanks, David

This is a work of art! Amazing.